Pinterest Partayy Reveal: Entryway Table

I originally posted this when Jami from What the Graham?! and I hosted a Pinterest Partayy, but I don’t think the InLinkz feature played nicely with things, so I’ve removed those links – so sorry for any issues that may have caused.

New Years Pinterest Partayy

When Jami first suggested a Pinterest party I had no idea what we would tackle. Then I thought back to my 25 Before 25 list, which at the time had about two things checked off. Completing a patio or a stalled bathroom reno in two weeks seemed a bit… unlikely, but the entryway console table seemed doable.

As a refresher, we previously planned to DIY a version of West Elm’s (now discontinued) Chunky Console, and we last talked about the entryway plans in a guest post on The Lil House That Could. At that time things looked like this:

nightstand and much-too-small shoe basket

very sad placeholder “console”

So with hopes of getting rid of the eyesore stools, we set our sites on the tiled wall.  Finding a console table that we liked was pretty much impossible because the wall is only 36 inches long, so we figured we’d have to go the DIY route. Enter my Entryway Inspiration board. (Sidenote for anyone new here: I’m kind of a Pinterest addict. I have 45 boards and 2600+ pins. Yikes.)

As I alluded to in the last Pinterest Partayy post, we liked the idea of something sleek, with a chunky wooden top, and were possibly considering wall-mounting it.

from BHG

from Our Midcentury

We had some hairpin legs lying around from a former desk idea in the art room. (I won’t get into my rant about the source we bought them from, but suffice to say we will be making our own next time.) After looking at all the options available in non-pressure treated lumber, we decided make the top from oak 3x3s. Preferably we’d have used non-pressure treated 4x4s, but there weren’t any available in our area. So, after a bit of driving around research (did you catch what I did there, Jami?) we discovered that Home Depot’s 3x3s are a quarter inch wider, but only 30 inches long. The ones from Lowe’s are slightly narrower but come in precut 36 inch long lengths. Sold.

While at Home Depot we also picked up some hardware for attaching the 3x3s together and to the wall. I’m not sure if they’re meant to be used in new construction or if they’re some kind of hurricane straps for mobile homes, but either way, these suckers are heavy duty. And we like overkill around here.

After gluing, clamping and bracketing the 3x3s together that sucker was solid. And heavy. (You wouldn’t want to, say, drop it on your toes when holding it against the wall to see how it’s going to look. You know, hypothetically.) At this point, Robert also oiled the oak with Watco Danish Oil in Natural, and primed & painted the tile wall (using Valspar’s Grand Hotel Mackinac Blue).

Then we attached the legs, and mounted it to the tile wall. We killed several drill bits during this project. Robert tells me there is one actually stuck inside the table top, and we pretty much trashed a glass/ceramic/tile bit, as well as a Tapcon bit while drilling into the wall. As it turns out, the tile we’ve been wanting to remove or recover for a while now? Yeah, that’s actually over brick or brick veneer. So at some point the table we just put up will come down, we’ll demo the tile and assess the condition of the brick. If it’s completely trashed we’ll still end up drywalling over it. Fingers crossed for some lovely exposed brick. But I digress.

Robert drilled 12 holes into the tile/brick. He started each hole with the glass/ceramic bit, and finished it off with the Tapcon bit. The block you see on the completed L-bracket is there to hold the table top slightly above the top of the bracket. That way we didn’t have to cut the bracket down to fit the height of our table top, and we could use all the holes in the bracket so the table was super-secure.

Once the table was mounted to the wall we added a mirror from our wishlist that we received as a Christmas gift, and we’re considering adding a few framed photos as well.

We plan to add a coat/purse hook or two to that side tiled wall (the one by the old doorbell chime that we need to remove).

I love the way it turned out, and how it flows into the dining room, with the new chairs and china hutch.

36 Responses to Pinterest Partayy Reveal: Entryway Table

1. It looks amazing!! Thats the perfect spot for that toe breaking table! I say your next project is removing the table and taking off the tile! Brick would be perfect!

Thanks Jami! Totally can’t wait to try removing the tile, but my good sense says we should probably finish the guest bathroom first. Unless I get a wild hair to got sledgehammer-crazy while Robert is at work… (And if he’s reading this: Honey, I would never do that. Probably.)

2. Pingback: The Dream Joins the Pinterest Partayy! « Our Dream Foreclosure

3. I love this & I love where you chose to place the table too! The wood color is just lovely. Did you finish it or keep it natural?

Thanks so much! :)

I realized when you commented I totally spaced and forgot to mention the finish we used – Watco Danish Oil in Natural. We had some left over from working on the closet office in the art room.

4. emily says:

it’s amazeballs. check out those legssss!

5. OMG! LOVE LOVE LOVE what you came up with! Especially how substantial the wood table top is! :) I need one in my house! Wanna make another and ship it to me?!?!? ;)

Thanks Ashley!

Hahaha! You know I so would if the shipping for the top wouldn’t cost a fortune! You’re should totally make one!! Once you get the legs it’s pretty much a total cakewalk. (Unless you’re drilling into tile/brick. Or you hypothetically drop it on your foot. Not that I would ever do that…)

6. Samantha says:

I love the way that table looks, and although those table legs may have been a pain to get, they are GORGEOUS! What a great project, I’m actually about to pin it for future reference!

Thanks Samantha! I’m so glad you like it! I’d love to see what you come up with if you do something similar!

Yes, the source we got the legs from was a pain for several reasons (which I can get into later if anyone is interested).

7. Sexy legs!! It turned out so well!

8. It looks really great! I have to agree I love the hairpin legs, so even if they were a pain to get, they sure seem worth it!

Thanks Amy!

We love hairpin legs, it’s just that the source we got these from was a giant pain in the rear. Hopefully anyone else looking for some has a better experience, because I definitely would not recommend the source we used (which is sad, because they appear to be popular).

9. This looks so great. I actually like your version better than the inspiration. Great work!

10. Gorgeous!!! I love those hairpin legs :) How long did you let the glue set? I’m contemplating building a dining table out of 4 x 4′s but I don’t know if I’m as brave as you are!

Thanks Caitlin!

We just let ours dry overnight. Though in the interest of full disclosure, when we went to move the table top the next morning after gluing the glue joints came apart in one spot and had to be glued & clamped again. After Robert reglued things he clamped it together and attached the metal bracket, and then we let it dry about another 4-8 hours (though that part was probably unnecessary, it just worked out that way). I think making a dining table with 4x4s would be awesome! I think using a few wood or metal braces on the underside would probably be a good idea, unless you use something like dowel or biscuit joints. Ana White has some great plans you could use as a jumping off point. Good luck!

11. That’s totally awesome! I’d like to know about the hairpin legs. . . if you ever feel like breaking out that story!

Thanks Jane!

How about I email you about the hairpin legs tomorrow? Not sure I want to mention it on the blog quite yet, just in case it was a one-time bad transaction on their part.

12. OMG! Love love love this table. Its absolutely perfect for this space.

I just tagged you in the Tag! You’re It! Blogger game – http://strewth-tiger.com/?p=2599

Join in the fun :D

13. heidi says:

Cait, this looks great! I love it.

14. This looks so great!!! Very stylish, the wood looks great against the tiled wall.

15. Ack! I love this! You did a fantastic job.

16. Lydia says:

Wow! I am totally impressed! You did a great job. I love the sleek look and the functionality!

17. Lindsay says:

So SO cool! It turned out perfectly!! I LOVE the mid-century modern pieces you’re adding to the house!

18. Pingback: New Layout » Hernando House

19. love love love LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve been drooling over all the WE and CB2 tables like this — I want to make one now too!!!! =)