One Nightstand

As I mentioned here, we recently brought home two of my beloved Tarnby rugs.  Fortunately I can say that I am even more smitten with this rug now that we have it in our living room.  Unfortunately the second rug has remained rolled up in the guest room because just when we thought things were slowing down they started speeding up again.

I’ve been buried under a mound of Tylenol Cold and Kleenex drafting posts on the guest room mini makeover.  I’m tracking down a few receipts for the cost breakdown, so I decided to post this incredibly easy Malm nightstand hack while I work on that.

The idea was born when I saw a picture of a workspace made from a three or four Malm nightstands wall mounted next to each other.  The website for that hack was in Spanish, and it looked overcomplicated, but after seeing how Jen over at The House of Wood hung her headboard it seemed so obvious.  A french cleat.

After stumping the guys at Home Depot by asking for a french cleat (we overlooked it in the hardware section and they had no idea what one was) we used the hardware that attaches the Malm’s shelf to level this part of the cleat.

Then we screwed the other piece into the wall.  Since a lot of french cleats come with a handy built in level and drywall screws, all you need is a drill and whatever you’re hanging (unless you’re hanging it on a plaster wall, but that isn’t the case in our guest room).

Cost Breakdown
French Cleat: $14.97
Malm: $49.99

Total: $64.96

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to One Nightstand

1. Danielle says:

I hope you feel better. :-(

2. Cass says:

You have no idea how glad I am that I found this! I just bought two of these nightstands off of craigslist not knowing that they’re meant to be attached to the bed (which we don’t have yet). Another website talked about making your own french cleat out of wood, and never having heard of a french cleat before, I didn’t know we could buy metal ones. This just made a somewhat daunting project so much easier!

3. Hussain says:

Thank you sooo much for this post…my wife just picked these up from Ikea the other day and ever since we’ve been in a dilemma on how to fix these to the wall. This post has made it so easy now. I’m going to head to home depot today to pick up those french cleats.

4. Paul says:

I stumbled across this website about the Ikea Malm nightstand. When using the french cleat, does the nightstand mount flush to the wall? Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul, thanks for the comment. The Malm sits pretty close to flush when mounted with a french cleat. The top will be slightly further away from the wall (just from the thickness of the cleat) and the bottom of the Malm with be resting against the wall. Hope that makes sense!

5. Thalia says:

I just came across this post and am so happy! I also purchased the nighstands w/o realizing they were made to be attached to the headboard. Just wondering (and I hope you’re still monitoring these comments), did you put the entire nighstand together first then attach it to the french cleat? Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the comment, Thalia! Yes, we put the whole nightstand together and then attached the French cleat to the back. Most of them have a built it level, so it’s really easy. Hope it helps! :)

6. Tracy says:

Thanks! We bought the nightstands hoping we could get them to work with the high Malm bed frame some how. This looks super easy and effective!